Monday, November 1, 2010

The Impulse

An anxious and excited son waits for his mom to give birth in the waiting room. Suddenly his dad walks out in tears and walk towards the little boy…
Little Boy: what’s wrong daddy? Is the baby here yet?
Dad: no not yet buddy.
Little Boy: well when is he going to be here?
Dad: I’m not sure. We’re not even sure that he’s going to come.
Little Boy: why doesn’t he want to come?
Dad: come here bud…
Little Boy: yeah dad?
Dad:  remember how when mommy and daddy told you we were going to have a new member of the family and we would need all your help with the baby when it came? And that we would need you to love the baby and help him feel at home?
Little Boy: yes.
Dad: and we told you how the baby is coming from his home in heaven to come and live with us?
Little Boy: yes.
Dad: we’re not quite sure that the baby wants to come and live here anymore.
Little Boy: what do you mean?
Dad: what I mean is that the baby loves his home so much already that he doesn’t want to leave.
Little Boy: but what is wrong with living here?
Dad: nothing, maybe this just wasn’t a place for him. Maybe his home in heaven is where the baby wants to be.
Little Boy: I guess that makes sense…but why didn’t he tell us earlier?
Dad: I think we’re all going to wonder that for a while. You’ll understand better when you get older. But for now, just remember everything is ok.
Little Boy: ok. Is mommy ok?
Dad: yes she is. We can go in and see her in a few minutes if you would like to.
Little Boy: yes I want to.
Dad: I know she really wants to see you. Run up to her and give her a big hug when you see her ok?
Little Boy: ok. Are you going to?
Dad: of course I will.
(Doctor comes into the waiting room.)
Doctor: everything is cleaned up, you can come see her now.
Dad: thank you doctor.
Doctor: (whisper in dad’s ear.) I’m sorry about what happened in there…there really wasn’t anything we could do.
Dad: I understand. It’s ok doctor. You did your best. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be. We still have this little guy and that’s all that matters.

1 comment:

  1. The action in my impulse scene would be the baby being born. It's what the father wants and also what the child wants. The conflict is, if you couldn't tell, is the baby passing during birth. The event, is when the father starts telling the child how the baby won't be coming, the moment when it's said that it won't be happening. I think what I can do to make this better is make it more emotional. I find that the best scenes are emotional, even the funny ones.

    -Slim

    ReplyDelete